The second Monday in December has been established as Candle Safety Day by MGL C.6: S.12XX to promote the safe use of candles in the Commonwealth and recommends that this day be observed in an appropriate manner by the people.
In order to reduce the risk of fire, candles should be used within a 1-foot Circle of Safety, and the following safety tips observed:
- Burn candles within a one-foot circle, free of anything that can burn.
- Never leave candles burning unattended.
- Always extinguish candles after use.
- Use a non-combustible saucer or candleholder.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Consider switching to battery-operated flameless candles.