MASSACHUSETTS 2012 – 2013 CONTEST RULES
PURPOSE: To make students and their families aware that preventing fires
requires everyone to be alert everyday to all acts, omissions and dangers that
ELIGIBILITY: Public, Private and Parochial School children in grades 6, 7 and 8
THEME: "FIRE PREVENTION - EVERYONE / EVERYDAY
I. Poster Requirements
- Submitted artwork should be on 11” x 17” heavy-style construction paper.
- Original artwork may be in color or in black and white.
- Computer imaging will not be accepted.
- Include the theme title “FIRE PREVENTION – EVERYONE/EVERYDAY”. Additional phrases on the poster are allowed but not necessary. All words should be spelled correctly and readable at a distance.
- Students should not use replicas of copyrighted or registered characters or logos.
- Only one poster may be submitted per student.
- Only one student may submit each poster. Joint work is not allowed.
II. Contest Procedures and Deadlines:
- All entries should be post-marked no later than Friday, February 1, 2013. Please try to mail posters FLAT.
Posters must be mailed to:
Nancy Rodes – Fire Safety Poster Contest, Massachusetts FAIR Plan, 2 Center Plaza, Boston, MA 02108-1904
- Each poster submitted must show legibly on the back:
PLEASE MAKE SURE that the posters submitted have the NAME OF THE COUNTY listed both on the back of the poster and on the outside of the envelope or mailing package.
- County of Origin(i.e. Berkshire, Barnstable, Essex, Middlesex, etc.)
- Student’s name and grade
- School name
- School address – include street, town, county, zip and telephone number
- Teacher’s name, phone number and email address
- All posters will be judged and First and Second Place County winners will be
- All First Place County Winners will be entered into the Statewide competition.
- The three Statewide Winners will be announced, and awards presented, at
a luncheon ceremony to be held at 12:00 Noon on Thursday, May 30, 2013, at the Sheraton
Framingham Hotel, Framingham, MA.
- All First and Second Place County Winners, their families,
teachers and local fire officials are invited to attend this luncheon, where
County awards will be given out, along with the 3 state winners’ awards.
III. Rights and Awards:
- Second Place County winners will receive a check for $100 and a plaque. First Place County winners will receive a check for $200 and a plaque.
- First, Second and Third Place Statewide winners will receive trophies and cash prizes in the amounts of $1,000, $500 and $250, respectively.
- All entries become the property of MPIUA and will not be returned. The decision of all judges will be final.
- Winning posters may be used for the covers of the State Fire Marshal’s Annual Report and a Fire Safety Calendar.
- All County Winners, and their guardians, must sign a release statement giving permission to use their photos and
names in the calendar, website and other fire safety correspondence, as well as, permission to reproduce, publicize
or otherwise use their poster for fire prevention education in whatever manner deemed appropriate.
- If eligible, fire departments from each of the top 3 winning towns in the Statewide contest may receive grants in the amount of $2,500, $1,500 and $1,000. *Eligibility requirements apply.
In order to receive grant, Fire Department whose town has a First, Second or Third place winning poster in the STATEWIDE contest, should have been active in and helped to promote the contest.